Thursday, May 1, 2008

Is a TAG a Signature?




Recently I had an opportunity to sit down with a friend of mine, who is currently brokering an original piece of graffiti art produced by Keith Harring in the mid 1980's.
The piece is actually a store front sign for Harrings New York space, known as the
"The Pop Shop".
She was telling this great back story about how the piece was created and how it ended up in Orlando.
She explained that Harring and a young New York graffiti artist, by the name of Andre Charles, collaborated to create the piece. This provoked me to ask what the appraised value of the piece was. After I heard the dollar amount I immediatly asked, "is the piece signed by Keith Harring"? She replied, "it is" but, it is signed Keithroc, which was Harrings graffiti moniker, or "tag".
So I ask....Is a "tag" a signature?



No comments: